The academic year is divided into four academic quarters: Autumn, Winter, Spring, and Summer. Full-year online registration is available to all continuing students who have obtained Junior or Senior status. Continuing Freshmen and Sophomores may register online quarter by quarter. Registration dates will be announced. Registration is official only after all procedures required by the University have been completed and all fees have been paid. Students who do not receive financial clearance by the deadline will have their registration cancelled and will have to re-register on a space-available basis. 

Faculty advisors are available to assist students with registration and in planning academic programs. Advisor approval is required for class registration. Advisor signatures are required on Change of Registration forms for undergraduate students. In the event of temporary unavailability of the assigned advisor, the student should first consult the department chair/school dean. If the chair/dean is not available, the forms may be signed by the Director of Academic Advisement. It is the student's responsibility to inform the assigned advisor of the action.

Students are not permitted to attend courses for which they have not registered. Students will not be permitted to register for two classes which meet concurrently.

REGISTRATION WITHOUT OFFICIAL TRANSCRIPTS. Walla Walla University recognizes that in some instances a student may not be able to provide an official transcript immediately prior to enrolling at the University. At the University's discretion, some students may be allowed to enroll prior to admission on the basis of work shown on unofficial or incomplete transcripts. Students who have enrolled directly from high school in this fashion will have a maximum of three consecutive quarters to have their official transcripts received by the Marketing and Enrollment Services Office. No further enrollment will be allowed until the transcripts are on file. Transfer students allowed to enroll on this basis must have their official complete transcript(s) on file by the end of their first quarter in order to continue enrollment.

UNIVERSITY EXPERIENCE. All freshmen are required to attend the JumpStart Program, (University Experience class) which takes place the week prior to the beginning of Autumn quarter classes. The JumpStart Program focuses on topics and activities that will help students make a successful transition to university academically, socially, and spiritually. JumpStart includes regular orientation information, financial clearance, course placement, academic advisement, and finalization of the registration process. Students who successfully complete the JumpStart Program receive one elective credit. A fee is assessed for this program; see the Academic Fees Section of the Financial Bulletin.

DISCOVER PROGRAM. Students who have not chosen a major are eligible to participate in the Discover Program. Services include a career fair, informational sessions, and specialized advising in choosing two exploration courses in their top areas of interest. In addition, students will be placed in core general classes that will apply to a broad scope of degree requirements. They may also register for CDEV 210 Career Development, which provides career testing and practice setting goals, job readiness training, informational interviews, and job shadowing. 

STRATEGIES FOR SUCCESS PROGRAM. Attendance in the Strategies for Success Program will be required for incoming first-time and transfer freshman if the student arrives with a high school GPA less than 3.0 or earns a first or second quarter WWU GPA less than 2.0. Students in the program will be required to enroll in GNRL 102 On Course; placed with a specialized academic advisor and mentor; assigned as a pre-major in their chosen discipline; and be enrolled in designated general studies classes. Participation will be evaluated on a quarterly basis subject to the student’s academic and student life progress. If the University has not received a high school transcript by Wednesday of JumpStart week, the student will automatically be placed in the Strategies for Success Program. A fee is assessed for this program; see the Academic Fees section of the Financial Bulletin.

ACADEMIC PROBATION. Non-freshman students who go on academic probation will be required to participate in a special mentoring program. A fee for this service will be charged to the student’s account. Freshmen and sophomore students who go on academic warning or academic probation who have not previously enrolled in or successfully completed GNRL 102 On Course with a C- or above, will be required to enroll. See the Academic Fees section of the Financial Bulletin.

SATISFACTORY ACADEMIC PROGRESS. Students who fail the 70% completion requirement of Satisfactory Academic Progress Policy will be required to enroll in GNRL 102 On Course their following quarter.

ON COURSE. GNRL 102 On Course is a required course during the first term of enrollment for all first-time students entering with a high school GPA less than 3.0 and transfer students with a transfer GPA less then 2.5.

MENTOR PROGRAM. All freshmen are required to participate in the Freshman Success Program. The program focuses on assisting students in a successful transition to college life through individualized mentoring. Mentors are trained to give academic, spiritual, and social support that will: assist students in setting and achieving academic careers and goals; aid students in developing time management skills; encourage students to live balanced lives that includes academics, and spiritual and physical development; support students in reaching and maintaining satisfactory grade point averages; strongly encourage students to connect with faculty, staff, and other students, and participate in organizations sponsored by the University; identify students who are having academic or personal difficulties early in an academic quarter; direct students in effectively using campus resources; and encourage students when they encounter personal challenges. A fee is assessed for this program; see the Academic Fees Section of the Financial Bulletin.

LATE REGISTRATION. Students citing unusual circumstances may register after the designated registration periods; however, they will be charged a late registration fee, and may expect a reduction in course load. Students may register between the 5th and 10th days of the quarter only with permission of the instructors involved.

CHANGES IN REGISTRATION. Changes in registration may be made during the first four days of instruction without charge. Course changes after that require advance permission from the instructor and from the student's academic advisor; there is also a fee for each course added or dropped. Courses may not be added after the tenth day of any quarter.

WITHDRAWALS. Students withdrawing from all classes must submit an official University Withdrawal Form to the Academic Records Office. Students withdrawing from individual courses must submit a Change of Registration voucher to the Academic Records Office signed by the instructor involved and the student's advisor. The final date for dropping a course is listed in the academic calendar.

An instructor or department chair/school dean may drop a student from a course during the 100% refund period if the student has not satisfied the prerequisites for the course and the student is informed.

STUDENT DISMISSAL DUE TO POOR ACADEMIC ENGAGEMENT. The university recognizes the important relationship between student engagement and academic success. Any class session missed reduces the opportunity for learning and adversely affects student achievement. Regular class attendance is expected of all students. Attendance requirements can vary by course or academic program, and, in some cases such as clinical labs, student teaching, etc., may also affect a student’s enrollment status in a given academic program.

Any student whose class attendance or completion of academic responsibilities (assignments, quizzes, etc.) show a pattern of little or no engagement may be dropped from all courses and administratively dismissed from the university. Such decisions are made by the Academic Standards Committee in the case of undergraduate students or by the Graduate Standards Committee in the case of graduate students. The Chair of the Standards Committee will notify the student by email at least one week before any meeting for consideration of their dismissal. The student may submit a written statement for consideration by the Standards Committee during the meeting. The Standards Committee will consider the relevant information during a closed meeting and determine whether a dismissal or other consequence is warranted.

The student will be promptly notified of the Standards Committee decision by email. A dismissed student may appeal to enroll for a future term by submitting an Appeal for Re-Admission along with supporting evidence to the Standards Committee.

CONCURRENT REGISTRATION. Concurrent registration at another accredited college/university may occasionally be advisable because of course unavailability or schedule conflicts. Students who are considering this option should consult their advisor and the registrar to ensure that their total course load is reasonable, that the transfer course will not interfere with their Walla Walla University class schedule, and that the course will satisfy the intended requirement. Transfer course approval requests are available at It is the student's responsibility to have a transcript sent to Walla Walla University as soon as the course has been completed. Seniors should not enroll for courses at other colleges without prior approval from Academic Standards Committee (see Residency Requirements in this bulletin).

Students in good and regular standing may request to concurrently enroll in a Whitman College class through a reciprocal program in which tuition is paid at Walla Walla University while the student registers at Whitman College. Some restrictions apply; the program is intended for students who wish to take a course that is not available at Walla Walla University. The application process should be initiated through the office of the Associate Vice President for Academic Administration at least three weeks before the beginning of the term in which concurrent enrollment is desired.

ADMISSION TO UPPER-DIVISION STATUS. A student may register for upper-division courses provided that he/she has completed 45 quarter hours of university course work, the general studies mathematics requirement, ENGL 121 and 122 or ENGL 141 and 142, and has completed or is concurrently enrolled in either ENGL 223 or HONR 243.

SENIOR REGISTRATION FOR GRADUATE COURSES. Seniors who wish to take graduate (500-level) courses must submit a petition, a copy of a degree audit or a copy of their approved senior outline, and a current transcript to the Graduate Standards Committee for evaluation. Approval to register is based upon the student's background for the course in question and a minimum of 2.75 cumulative GPA. Academic Standards Committee must approve the petition to have the course apply to the undergraduate program. Courses so taken will be marked on the transcript as applying to the undergraduate degree. Seniors wishing to take credit to be applied toward a future graduate program should consult the Graduate Bulletin.

AUDIT. Students may audit classes provided they (1) register in the usual manner; (2) receive prior approval of the instructor , because certain classes and labs may not be audited; (3) pay any special fees, as appropriate; and (4) pay one-half tuition. Students auditing courses are not required to do class assignments or take tests. They receive no grades and no academic credit. The deadline for changing to or from audit status is the tenth day of the quarter. Students may not take challenge or waiver examinations for courses they have audited and may not add the class for credit after the 10th day of the quarter. Students with a Walla Walla University cumulative grade-point average of at least 3.00 and a course load of at least 13-16 hours (excluding audit courses) pay a special fee if their total credits exceed 16 hours. See the Academic Fees section of the Financial Bulletin.